Here we go! Christmas is such a funny time for everyone but especially this year! I only got back from my parents a couple of days ago as my fiancé had work near to them and I was so excited to get home and get on with all the Christmassy things I wanted to do! We managed get a 7ft non drop tree for £5 in the clearance as we were so late buying one!!
Christmas cookies/biscuits are something I feel like I’ve never done properly and really wanted to do some this year and they were so much fun to do! Such a quick easy fun Christmas activity, but the decorating is the best part, you can keep it traditional and festive or get creative and change it up! This cookie recipe you can use all year round for different occasions!
The best thing about this recipe is that it only uses ingredients that you probably always have in your cupboard/fridge! They’re all staple ingredients so you can quickly make a batch whenever!
- 220g salted butter
- 220g caster sugar
- 1 egg (large)
- 445g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt (only if using unsalted butter!)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 150C/340F
- Cream the butter and sugar together until soft. For best results, use an electric mixer.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract and continue to mix until everything is completely combined.
- Start adding the flour in thirds slowly, along with the baking powder and salt. Mix until everything is thoroughly combined. It will look very clumpy and will not be a solid ball of dough!
- Dust a work top with some flour and tip out half of the mixture. Using your hands, combine the mixture into a smooth ball of dough.
- Roll the dough to the thickness you desire, I tend to go for about half a cm thick but its totally up to you, just ensure to adjust cooking times if you make them thinner!
- Using your festive cookie cutters, cut out your shapes and place on a tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Repeat this process with the rest of the dough!
- Bake for 8 minutes, until they are slightly golden, and place on a rack to cool.
- When completely cool, you can ice however you wish!