It’s now the new year, and for me, a fresh start. Last year was an interesting one let’s say, but I have a very good feeling about this year. I’ve set some personal goals, lots of which are related to fitness and health. So I thought what a perfect opportunity to share my favourite go to salad, when I’m feeling super heavy and just ‘ugh’.
I absolutely love this salad because it’s not just delicious, but also my favourite words… quick and easy. It’s bright, light, but stills fills me up the same as a pizza would!
You can be so flexible with this meal as well, you can have it as a side dish, or as a main, which is what I do, but you can change the protein, or the greens, and even the dressing! But I thought I would share my favourite ‘Classic Caesar’ salad.
I also used a store bought dressing because to me this meal is supposed to be easily put together and no stress, but you can make your own dressing if that’s what you’d prefer.
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 yellow pepper (or whatever colour you have)
- 1 slice of bread
- Caesar dressing (or make your own!)
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder and chilli flakes to season
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Season your chicken breast with salt, pepper, garlic powder and chilli flakes and place in the oven. Unless you’re using leftover chicken!
- Dice your slice of bread into cubes and place in a frying pan of hot butter. Ensure every cube is evenly coated, and season if you wish.
- Once the cubes have a crisp coating, place them in the oven. Check on them and toss regularly, remove when golden and crisp and set aside to cool.
- Cut your your lettuce or greens of choice, and place in a bowl. Chop your cucumber and pepper and add to the lettuce.
- Mix well until combined. Add in your dressing and toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Once your chicken breast is cooked, dice it into small chunks and add to your dressed lettuce and combine.
- Add in the croutons and Parmesan cheese, mix is gently, and then serve!